Location: Washington DC, United States (Headquarters)
Closing Date: Jun 22, 2023
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
The Social Sector at the IDB is currently looking for a strategic, people leader and highly motivated individual to be the Sector Economic Advisor, reporting directly to the Sector Manager in the Vice Presidency of Sectors and Knowledge.
The Social Sector (SCL) is a multidisciplinary team that invests in people as the way to improve lives and overcome the development challenges in the countries we serve. It formulates public policy solutions to reduce poverty and improve the delivery of education, lifelong learning and public employment services, social protection, and health services. Our objective is to advance to a more productive and equal region, with equal opportunities for all people, and greater inclusion of the most vulnerable groups.
What you’ll do:
- Lead pioneering research to support an innovative and relevant operational program on social areas.
- Oversee the strategic direction of the research, multi-annual knowledge agenda and the dissemination strategy of SCL.
- Coordinate the formulation and strategic direction of SCL multi-annual knowledge program of analytical studies, in conjunction with the Sector Manager, Division Chiefs and knowledge coordinators within each division and supervise the analytical work of staff and external consultants, assuring high standards of technical quality of the knowledge products.
- Provide support and guidance to the Sector Manager, Division Chiefs and staff working on the SCL knowledge program to optimize information exchange and the adoption of good practices.
- Provide substantial input to the preparation and dissemination of the Sector Framework Documents and other sector strategic documents, assuring high standards of technical quality in coordination with other areas of the IDB Group (IDBG), multilateral organizations, governments, and academic institutions.
- Represent SCL in the Bank's Studies and Publications Committee.
- Actively seek the creation of knowledge networks within the IDBG, with other development partners, and with think tanks, universities, and public and private sector institutions within and outside the region.
- Advise SCL divisions in the identification of critical issues for the Regional Policy Dialogue and promote quality enhancement of this key instrument to strengthen the dialogue on the most pressing sector issues for the region between SCL and high ranking public officials, research organizations and public and private sector institutions
- Advise Management on the development of strategies, policies, and guidelines for the Bank on social issues, with special focus on adapting to the specific needs of the different borrowing member countries.
- Actively seek to disseminate relevant innovative academic research and facilitate knowledge exchange between IDBG divisions and departments.
- Coordinate with the Department of Research and Chief Economist (RES) to work on joint knowledge products, including RES’ flagship report “Development in the Americas”.
- Interact with the Vice Presidency of Countries (VPC) on knowledge generation and coordinate SCL participation in country development challenges.
- Provide periodic updates to the Knowledge Advisor of VPS/VPS on the implementation of the multi annual knowledge agenda.
What you'll need
Education: Ph.D. in Economics, Public Policy or other relevant fields.
- At least 15 years of proven experience related to the key responsibilities of the position.
- You are recognized as a leader and authority among peers in the field.
- You have a shown experience in similar positions, preferably in Latin America and the Caribbean, including broad experience, at a similar level, in coordinating multidisciplinary teams to develop complex projects in a matrix structure environment, with strong technical background.
- You combine strong intellectual leadership with: a) a track record of successfully designing or/and implementing projects and programs in the areas described above, and b) broad experience in working with knowledge networks and knowledge dissemination and management.
- Publications: significant publication record on social issues, preferably on Latin American and Caribbean countries.
- Languages: Excellent English and Spanish language proficiency, oral and written, is required. French and Portuguese are a plus.
- Mentor and develop
- Promote Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
International staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package
- Leaves and vacations: 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender- neutral parental leave
- Health Insurance: IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program which covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
- Pension plan: defined benefit pension plan that provides financial security and support employees in planning for their future.
- We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family, when it applies
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
- Development support: We offer tools to boost your professional profile such as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training and learning opportunities, language classes, mobility options, among others.
- Other perks: Lactation Room, Daycare Center, Gym, Bike Racks, Parking, Spouse Career Program, and others.
For more information on how to apply, please click the Apply button.